Australia’s National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) has provided an opportunity to completely transform how people with disability are served. Described to be the most significant social reform since Medicare, there was no doubt that the roll-out would come with it’s challenges.
There are currently more than 2,300 service providers registered in the scheme, with the expectation that this number will grow considerably to meet the demand of the projected 460,000 people using the scheme when it’s operational in three years.
This has placed substantial demand on not-for-profit and for-profit organisations working in the NDIS system. And with the scheme founded on the idea that users should be able to select and move between providers so they can receive the service they need in the way they need them, the scheme is creating competition for staff and efficiency in services.
With 36,000 people moving into NDIS in 2017-18, it’s never been more important for NDIS service providing organisations to up-skill their team to meet the rising demand for high quality supports and services for people with disability.
To support the development of a vibrant and responsive market and to provide for people with disability in Australia, it’s essential that NDIS organisations prepare their staff with training and development and emerging leaders grow their leadership and management skills to ensure you can conduct your business effectively in the new environment.
The importance of leadership and management development for NDIS organisations
Leaders in NDIS businesses are tasked with the role of empowering mostly casual employees who are supporting people with disability in Australia. To ensure these organisations are thriving and are continuing to provide the service, level of support, help and care that people with disability need, we need to lay the foundation for their success through leadership and management development.
While some organisations may have concerns with the costs (even with any government support) of training staff, the medium and long term benefits of providing training to your employees far outweigh the cost to your organisation.
- Increased productivity and the efficiency of your employees. Staff who are properly trained are more efficient and innovative in their techniques and better able to support their teams. They’ll feel more confident in implementing chosen strategies for your organisation, managing risk and dealing with a wider range of problems and scenarios.
- Stay competitive and viable in a demanding environment. The consumer-directed nature of the NDIS means organisations need to work hard to make sure their responses are timely and efficient to ensure they are meeting care expectations and to build a competitive edge. Proper leadership and development will help you effectively manage your business and positively effect how you work with your clients.
- Recognise and harness business opportunities. For NDIS providers to flourish, they will need to adapt to the changing environment and inspire their leaders to build their business networks as a means of further supporting clients and overcoming any service gaps they have.
- Increase job satisfaction and morale. If you want your people to stay, then you should invest in good quality leaders. Investing money and time on your staff will make employees feel more valued by the organisation and give them a sense of achievement. Managers, supervisors and leaders are then better equipped to support staff, which will in turn help with retention.
- Increased customer satisfaction. Trained staff will have the knowledge to cope and adapt to a range of problems and scenarios and deal with customer needs and complaints in a reliable manner. Therefore, clients are more likely to be satisfied and loyal to your organisation.
Where should I start?
Investing in certified and nationally recognised leadership and management training will help your organisation gain and keep your competitive edge and boost your bottom line.
At Business Growth Centre, we have over 20 years of experience providing leadership and management certifications to local businesses and NDIS services and can conduct a training needs analysis of your business and employees so we can created a tailored program to suit your unique requirements.
Click here to view our available Leadership and Management Diploma and Certificate IV which are now open for enrolment or contact us on 02 4942 3133 or on email@example.com for more information. Click on the links below to be taken directly to each course: